On Sept. 26, our SEIU 503 OUS bargaining team reached a tentative agreement with OUS management. Now that an agreement has been reached, it’s up to all members to decide if we want to ratify the contract. Our bargaining team recommends a “yes” vote. Click here to view a summary of the TA.
We strongly encourage all members to attend a ratification meeting to discuss the agreement with your fellow members and colleagues, have your questions answered and vote on whether to ratify the agreement. Click here to view a schedule of ratification meetings and for information on voting absentee.
Some key points of the agreement include:
- Two full steps. We secured full steps—not half steps—for the life of the contract, so that workers reach their top step after nine years instead of the eighteen-year period management had proposed. The first step increase is guaranteed by 6/30/14 and the second by 6/30/15; however, if OUS receives additional legislative funding in its February 2014 session, the steps would go into effect one year earlier, on the employee’s SED. We believe that goal is within reach.
- Cost of living raises. 1.5% on 12/1/13 and 2% on 12/1/14.
- An end to furloughs, no increase to the 5% healthcare premium share, and dozens of other improvements.
- Continuation of IT merit increases on a model similar to the step system, and low-wage worker healthcare subsidies.
- Improved working conditions for temporary workers, including enhanced economic security.
Our bargaining team recommends a “yes” vote on this agreement. To be clear, this TA never would have been possible without the workers who show up every day to serve the students of OUS, who turn out to actions and make their voice heard, and most especially, the thousands of us who sent the message that we would do whatever it took—including walking a picket line—to get the most fair contract possible.
We’ve worked hard for this contract. Now let’s get out and vote!