The vast majority of the 400,000 active businesses in Oregon are not expected to be affected by Ballot Measure 97. Only about 1,000 businesses in our state—about 0.25%—will see their taxes go up, according to the Secretary of State’s Office. Here’s what that looks like; each box represents 1,000 businesses.
WHICH BUSINESSES WILL M97 AFFECT?
There are many different types of business structures in Oregon. Only one will be affected by Ballot Measure 97
That’s only 3% of all Oregon C corps.
1,000 out of 30,000
Which businesses aren’t affected?
- Sole proprietorship
- LLC (Limited Liability Corporation)
- S Corporation
- LLP (Limited Liability Partnership)
- Non-Profit Organization
- C Corporation with less than $25 million in annual Oregon sales
(That’s about 97% of all Oregon C Corporations—29,000 out of 30,000).
BIG CORPORATE MONEY FIGHTS AGAINST M97
You’ve probably received slick materials in the mail urging you to
vote against Ballot Measure 97. You’ve caught the anti-campaign’s deceptive radio and TV ads. Ever wonder who paid for all of it?
Following are the 30 companies that spent $100,000 or more to beat Measure 97. Another 30 corporations contributed $50,000 or more, and about 270 companies kicked in less than $50,000. Data from Oregon Secretary of State’s ORE-STAR website, accessed Aug. 26.
- Albertsons-Safeway (Portland Division) $500,000
- Costco Wholesale Corpora on $500,000
- Lithia Motors, Inc. $455,000
- Cambia Health Solutions (Regence, BC/BS) $380,000
- Comcast Cable $315,000
- Standard Insurance $303,450
- Weyerhaeuser Company $300,000
- Automobile Dealers Assoc. of Portland $250,000
- Equilon Enterprises LLC (Shell Oil) $250,000
- Portland General Electric $230,000
- Phillips 66 $217,000
- International Paper $205,000
- Services Group of America, Inc. (Food service) $202,320
- Membrane Holdings LLC $200,000
- State Farm Mutual Ins. Auto Ins. Co. $192,337
- Pacific Corp $175,000
- BP America Inc. $169,000
- Oregon Automobile Dealers Association $150,000
- Kroger/Fred Meyer $125,000
- U.S. Bank—Oregon $125,000
- Farmers Insurance $120,000
- Natural Gas PAC $120,000
- Papé Group $116,745
DONORS FIGHT M97 WITH DOLLARS THESE COMPANIES SPENT $100K
- Grocery Outlet
- Hoffman Construction Company
- Pacific Power/Rocky Mountain Power PAC Synergy by Assoc. (Oregon Bankers Assoc.)
- The Greenbrier Companies (Railcars)
- Tillamook Dairy Co-op
- Wilco (Farm & garden)