Get Help

If you are a UO classified employee and have a work-related problem or question, you can contact a union steward for information or representation. Stewards are trained coworkers who can assist you on a wide range of issues, such as:

  • Discipline
  • Work schedules
  • Performance evaluations
  • Bully bosses
  • Your rights under the contract
  • Any other work-related issue

Union Representation and Weingarten Rights

If management asks you to attend a meeting that you fear may lead to discipline, here’s what you can say:

“If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative or steward be present at this meeting. If I am denied my right to have a union representative present, I will refuse to answer accusatory questions and any questions I believe may lead to discipline.”

Weingarten was a 1975 Supreme Court decision affirming that employees have a right to union representation at investigatory interviews.

More details on Weingarten rights  may be found here on the SEIU 503 website.

Contact a Steward

  • Call the Local 085 Steward Message Line, 541-346-0321.
  • Leave a name, number, and a brief summary of the issue; we’ll call back.
  • After you receive your assigned steward, contact them by finding them on the list provided on our contact page.

Member Assistance Center

Our state-wide union has a Member Assistance Center (MAC) which can also help with work-related problems.

  • Call the SEIU Local 503  MRC – 1-844-503-SEIU (7348) (Toll Free)
  • The MAC is staffed by trained organizers; 8am-5pm, M-F


Comments are closed.